Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Fa-La-La-La-La, and I'm Not Done. Are You?


I showed you this little quilt top a few weeks ago made with a Merry Go Round charm pack. The fabric designer is Nel Whatmore for Freespirit Fabrics. It's become a favorite after using it, and one I'll replace for my stash. Very girly and romantic, but modern, too.

I used a simple pattern for the machine quilting, and a variegated purple thread from Aurifil. I layered a poly batting with a substantial weight flannel top and bottom inside for warmth and fuzziness next to the Doxie.


I hunted high and low for a suitable fabric for the bed surround. Low and behold, Material Girl Fabric Outlet had this fabulous yellow-gold denim that made the top colors 'pop'. Although they do a brisk internet business, it's half an hour away from me, so I hurried home with my find to finish it up yesterday. A lapped zipper makes it easy to change out the 2 standard pillows it's stuffed with.


Agatha's already dreaming of Sugar Plum dog goodies snuggled in her little cocoon, and Santa hasn't made his appearance yet.


My other finish yesterday was dear son's matching pillow. I barely squeaked by with enough fabric to match the piping to the first one, though I had a back-up fabric picked out. He wouldn't have cared. FYI, Ikea has the greatest pillow forms available in a range of sizes. It's easy to keep a few on hand as they're sold compressed in a cylinder shape, and take up little space. This is actually a 26" pillow form, and it nicely fills a 24"-25' pillow shell. I always go a few inches tighter with the pillow to fill out the corners, and add loft.


Our Christmas Eve plans are toned down this year, and we'll spend it together at home. We're threatening to make all the kids watch, "It's a Wonderful Life" with us. Such a classic film.

To my friends in Sweden who celebrate the holiday today on Christmas Eve, God Jul, and I wish you all the best memories and blessings. Have a joyful day! For my stateside friends, from my heart, Merry Christmas to one and all!

The Doxie Girls and I have a few things to finish up today, 
and actually a few to start yet!
We're off to sew.

1 comment:

Sue Wild said...

I like your son's pillow, a lovely way to use up scraps. I hope you had a good Christmas